What are the Four Vehicle Insurances in Queensland

“My uninsured car was parked on the street outside my house. I had it up for sale for $16,000. One night a drunk driver smashed into my car. He wrote off my car, and he had no insurance, either. He said he would pay me, but it’s been months, and he still has not given me any money. I needed that $16000” 

“My daughter borrowed my uninsured spare car to get to work. She had an accident, and although it was not her fault, the other vehicle had no insurance either. Fortunately, the airbags protected my daughter, and she was not injured, but my car was written off, which is financially costly.” 

You might be surprised how many people ring Revolution Law after an accident, looking for help for property damage. Often, they tell us they don’t have insurance, forgot to pay it, forgot the expiry date or chose not to have it. Unfortunately, not having insurance exposes you to hefty financial costs if your car is involved in a car accident.

There are four types of car insurance;

  1.  Comprehensive
  2. Third-Party Fire and Theft
  3. Third-Party Property Damage
  4. The mandatory Compulsory Third Party Insurance (CTP).

Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance is mandatory as it protects you financially if you have a car accident and injure or kill someone.

Queenslanders can choose between four registered Insurers;

AllianzQBE, RACQ and Suncorp.

This insurance covers you if you are hurt or injured in a vehicle accident by an at-fault driver.

Suppose you are injured in a “hit and run” accident or by an uninsured driver. In that case, your lawyer will pursue compensation from the Nominal Defendant – the statutory office acting as the CTP insurer for uninsured or unidentified vehicles.

While CTP Insurance protects people injured in a vehicle accident, it doesn’t cover the damage caused to or by your vehicle. To ensure “property” is covered, you will need to add one of the following insurances –

  1. Third-party property damage:  covers you if you cause damage to someone’s property (e.g. their car or home).
  2. Third-party fire and theft cover: covers your car if it’s damaged by fire or stolen and includes the cover provided by the third-party property damage insurance.
  3. Comprehensive car insurance: the most extensive (and most expensive) form of cover. This provides cover for damage or theft to your car, as well as to the property of others.

Finding the right insurance is as important as finding the right lawyer. Revolution Law specialises in these types of car accident claims. We can aid you in getting your life back on track and walk you through the process of getting the best results.

If you have had any car, vehicle or mobile accident and have insurance questions, give your local Revolution Lawyer a call and organise a FREE no-obligation meeting to review your crash.